The Wisdom of Beautiful Whiskers
by Bataan Faigao
26 THE POISON HAND
1. Step only when the root is firmly planted.
2. Cold hands and sweat on the brow mean strength.
3. Don't take it too seriously.
4. Discriminate between a feint and an attack. An attack is one movement. This is commitment. This is what you want to catch.
5. In real fighting it is a matter of only one punch- the mortal blow. Our practice is to develop that poison hand.
6. Always attack on the weak side, the empty side.
7. When there is double resistance as in the case of resistance in the elbow and the wrist, always feel for the weaker side. One side is always weaker.
8. Do not bring the opponent too deeply into your territory.
9. Use Brush Knee to brush away kicks and punches.
10. Hold the opponent like you would your sword: softly, lightly but firmly. Hold on to the opponent like a baby.
11. If you are stiff you leave too many openings and too many weak spots.
12. Fear makes you stiff. Competition makes you even stiffer. The desire to do your best also gets you stiff.
13. Once the arms go higher than shoulder level, you can not sit and sink.