Yang Chengfu Taijiquan Theory:
This list of ten essentials represents an encapsulation of taijiquan theory developed by Yang Chengfu and recorded by Chen Weiming. This was one of the first texts I translated. I recently revisited it, and in addition to making some updates to my translation, found the text itself to be a launching point for explorations into other taijiquan literature and into related Chinese philosophy and thought.
The Essentials themselves are:
- Xu Ling Ding Jin
- Contain the Chest, Raise the Back,
- Song the Yao
- Separate Empty and Full
- Sink Shoulder, Drop Elbow
- Use Yi, Don't Use Li
- Upper and Lower Mutually Follow
- Inner and Outer Mutually Harmonize
- Mutually Linked Without Gaps
- Move Center, Seek Stillness
Here is my complete translation of the points and associated commentary together with my musings and explorations into related sources.